Friday, August 17, 2012

Quito

Did you know that the equator is actually 25 Km wide, or that you weigh less on the equator? You have less strength, less force, and can prove this by standing at the 0 degree longitude/latitude. If you can't, well, you'll have to take my word for it because I was there and I saw the proof. You can also see the big dipper, Orion's belt, and the Southern Cross from the equator (and they're even more visible in the Galapagos!).



Even though everyone here says Quito is small, in reality, it is a large city. When standing on one side you really can't see the other. Of course, this could be due to the rolling hills (massive mountains, actually) of the Andes (be jealous, it's okay. I'm living in a valley of the Andes). Did you know that in Columbia the Andes are separated into three mountain ranges, in Ecuador two, and in Peru and Chile only one? I think that's pretty cool.



Yesterday was the end of orientations (thankfully). We had a talk with a US government official who told us top information on the security of the country we are living in. Don't freak out, but Ecuador, maybe even Quito in particular, is at the critical level for crime, mostly due to economic reasons. There's a whole list of things you have to be aware of when in this country, and you'd better pay attention to them, b/c you don't want to be the person who got in to the unmarked taxi that took you to a ride to the bank, where all you're money was stolen. Yeah, see what I mean? 

Today it happened. I was wondering if it would, given the fact that I'm living in a very religious country. I was asked by by host father which church I went to. I almost laughed, and most of you should understand why, haha. Is it okay that I told him I belong to the church of free spirits? Looking back, I don't think he understood me and for that I'm glad. Of course, I did visit numerous catholic churches today on the city tour...maybe that counts?


There's this really oil church that we stopped at...it's called the "Gold Church". It's actually painted with gold leaf. It's awesome because, well, who wouldn't want to be blinded by the light (especially at church)? Unfortunately, you can't pictures inside the church, but I was able to get one of the door (Kristen, remind me to bring you here in December).


1 comment: