Tuesday, August 21, 2012

One week already?


Even though I’ve started classes I still feel like I’m on a permanent vacation. This must be what they said in the orientation about the ‘honeymoon phase’. Supposedly, in 1-2 months I’ll be cursing everything about this beautiful land because it isn’t like the states. Hmmm, I don’t know. I think it’s pretty awesome that Ecuador isn’t the US, and well, in 5 weeks I’ll be in paradise. I’m really not too worried.

The bus system here is unlike any you’ve ever ridden, unless, of course, you’ve traveled to an underdeveloped country. People stand on the bus, or more precisely, pack themselves in to the point where no one else can get on. It’s a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious good time to stand on a bus that’s packed full of people while holding on as the bus drives (I don’t think drive is the proper verb for this experience. Perhaps flying while weaving in and out of traffic without a blinker?) around a mountain (of the Andes J) to your stop. Did I mention the bus only costs 25 cents?
View of the Andes from the shopping center in Cumbaya. Mi Universidad is across the street.

We only have two days of classes this week, as tomorrow we have a field trip (I just love the Ecuadorian way of learning…hour + long bus rides weaving throughout the mountains while singing camp songs- totally joking (about the songs, that is) – to some of the most remarkable places on Earth to LEARN!!!! Hello USA universities, take note please! This module I’m taking 3 classes: Tropical Ecology (thus awesome fieldtrip), some service learning class, and basic Spanish.
First day of school!!


Celebrating the completion of our first day of class :-)

There is this awesome indigenous fruit here called chirimoya. The only thing that I can think of that comes close is ice cream. Yes, it reminds me of ice cream. SO good. I will find a way to get it home, or at least eat the entire stock before leaving. It is probably one of the most expensive things in Ecuador ($2-3/fruit). It grows specifically in Guayallamba, where, believe it or not, there is a zoo!
Guayallamba

Mi host padre and I
He's very outgoing, a jokester, and thankfully speaks some english, though keeps threatening to use a stick while teaching me spanish. Apparently I'll learn faster if there's a big stick nearby...


It's hard to get homesick when you're surrounded by such beautiful landscape. Not to mention almost every store/restaurant you walk into is playing music from a US pop radio station. 


Sun setting on the mountains. This is the view from my bedroom!




2 comments:

  1. Hola Lalena! ¿Qué esperas por 25 centavos? Tan feliz que está a salvo y tener el tiempo de tu vida! A diferencia del resto de nosotros, está utilizando más de un 20% de su cerebro :) So happy you are having the time of your life. Love your blog and YOU!! Alice and Charlie...currently at Craters of the Moon NM in Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this looks incredible!!! I cannot stop smiling! And neither can you, apparently! haha Looks like you are having an amazing time already! Be safe! I Love you! And keep up the blogs so I can live vicariously through you ;))

    ReplyDelete