Monday, November 26, 2012

Una Semana on Santa Cruz: Beaches, Scalesia, and Pirate Caves!


I’ve spent this last week on Santa Cruz. Monday thru Thursday was mandatory for class, and the weekend prior for my own adventures. Having found this awesome room for rent away from the entire tourista ruckus and the blasting of Ave. Charles Darwin, I spent many evenings on the large balcony, listening to music and conversing.

Arriving early Friday morning (the boats leave San Cristóbal at 7am), the two-ish hour boat ride was smooth (at least I think it was, but then again I pass out once my butt hits the seat), and two very nice naturalists (mis amigos) met me at the dock and took me out for breakfast (bolon = awesomeness).

Fishing boats tend to attract carnivores and scavengers


On Saturday mi amigo and I took a taxi to Los Gemelos up in the highlands. Los Gemelos (the twins) and two collapsed magma chambers located within the Scalesia zone of the highlands. After the business of the main town of Santa Cruz, the twins create this peaceful quietness that makes you smile with appreciation for everything you have.


We took a taxi up to Los Gemelos with the intention of riding bikes back to Puerto Ayora; what an exciting ride. First of all, it was a much longer ride to Los Gemelos than I had originally thought and we left pretty late in the day. So here we are, riding crappy bikes with minimal breaks (my tires definitely could have used more air in them), speeding (well, racing is a better term) down a (thankfully) paved road without helmets (because who needs those), while trucks and taxis (smaller trucks) are speeding by us. Oh yeah, and the sun was setting, which was absolutely beautiful to see, but also potentially very dangerous because there were no lights on the bikes. It took a little over an hour of racing down from the highlands, and when we arrived back in Puerto Ayora it was pretty dark. But such a great ride! Definitely worth the risk of putting my life in the hands of the medical ‘experts’ on the island.


I’ve found another beautiful beach, this one on Santa Cruz. Although it’s approximately a 40-minute walk, Tortuga Bay is a long, white-sand beach with powerful rolling waves. The sand is super fine and soft, yet get’s into everything, which really is okay because the beach is so beautiful. You can’t really swim along the ocean because the current is too strong, but the lagoon around the corner is perfect as it is warmer than any other water I’ve been in on the archipelago. There are numerous marine iguanas swimming along the mangrove roots or laying on the beach, as just as many touristas getting way to close to them to take pictures. There’s a 2-meter distance you’re supposed to keep between you and any creature living on the archipelago (this excludes humans of course). It’s called Tortuga Bay because the sand dunes are a breeding ground for the sea turtles. Thankfully, it’s protected under the National Park so there are no hotels lining the beach upsetting nature.
Tortuga Bay



The Lagoon at Tortuga Bay

 

This week we had class on Santa Cruz (well, it’s basically over, we’re just going on daily excursions), so I was back at Lobo de Mar on a fairly tight eating regime. The rest of the class arrived on Monday and we, well I, had most of the day free because they were scheduled to take their final exam at 2pm (I took mine late afternoon Thursday so I didn’t have to worry about it over the weekend). So instead of sitting with my class listening to presentations, I sat with a LAN travel

agent for 1-½ hours trying to change my return flight to NY in January. I did meet some interesting people. One guy was there because he put all of his electronics into his backpack in the airport in Quito and when he arrived to Baltra they were all gone. Hmmm. I’d be surprised if they were still there. Theft is huge on mainland Ecuador.
Land iguana at the Charles Darwin Center












Tuesday we went to a sustainable farm in the Highlands. The head guy there gave us a tour, stopping every 3-4 meters or so to tell us about a plant, usually endemic. We even got to plant an endemic species, Scalesia pendunculata! My gardening skills came in handy, as were weren’t given a shovel but some kind of flat apparatus that wasn’t very sharp. It’s a pretty cool place though. You can volunteer to work there but for some reason you have to pay, so in reality you’re not really volunteering. Not too mention the pain in the butt it would be to get a visa from immigration for that.



Wednesday wasn’t very exciting, Well, I’m sorry to say I didn’t do anything that would be exciting for anyone reading this. Feeling like a cold was coming on, I skipped the 2-hour hike in the gurúa-laden Highlands to lie in bed watching movies I felt Finding Nemo was appropriate given the length of time I’ve been surrounded by ocean. Did you know one of his fins was smaller than the other? Apparently this is an important piece of information that I missed the first time I saw the movie many, many years ago). By myself. It was truly a great day.

Happy Happy Turkey Day! Oh, and what a day it was! We didn’t get a fabulous turkey dinner like the rest of American, I mean really, the National Park is trying to eradicate introduced species on the islands and I think everyone knows that turkeys are not native to the Galápagos. So no turkey. But that’s okay because we took a couple boats to Floreana Island 1 ½ hours southwest of Santa Cruz. Floreana is small, desolate island inhabited by 120 people. It has a great snorkeling spot that is restricted to all but the cruise ships (money and politics), a few lobos, lots of very large Tortugas de mar, and a Playa Negro (black sand beach). Oh yes, and pirate caves in the highlands. There is a very interesting story about Floreana. The Galápagos were discovered around 1530A.D., yet it was decided that they were uninhabitable. I find this fact interesting because these people sailed all over the world, roughing the open seas and they found the Galápagos to be uninhabitable? After the discovery of the Galápagos, pirates and those crazy enough to get on a ship and cross the ocean would use the Equatorial islands as a pit stop, to hide gold (which has yet to be found), and to take tortoises on their ships to use for food when it became scarce. I believe I read that something like 200,000 tortoises were killed by these assholes. This is the main reason why numerous Galápagos tortoise species are extinct (e.g., Lonesome George was the last of his species, and actually thought to have been extinct until he was found on Isla Pinta), and the four inhabited islands all have tortoise refuges: the National Park is trying to repopulate the tortoise population; they are of great importance to the ecosystem. To continue with the story, the Galápagos were annexed by Ecuador in 1832, and a group of Germans, Norwegians, and other Europeans immigrated to Santa Cruz in the early 1920s, with one couple heading to Floreana. Interestingly, a German family by the name of Angermeyer traveled to Santa Cruz during this time, where there just happens to be the Angermeyer Resort. To make a long story a tad shorter, this infamous couple that headed to Floreana were a tad scandalous, as they had been having an affair while in Germany, and wanted to get away to a more peaceful and sustainable environment (boy, were they in for a ride). Because they were both writing home about their adventures on Floreana, and because people talk, others attempted to do the same. Sadly they could not handle the extreme differences in their new lifestyle, and most of these people left, that is, of course, until the Baroness arrived with her three men (I really don’t know what else to call them). The Baroness was a crazy bitch and tried not only to tax the two families already living there, but believed she owned the island as well.
Playa Negra

There was major conflict between the families living on the island, and with a few years one day the Baroness and her ‘main man’ disappear, then someone else dies, and between different stories that are constantly changing, no one really knows what happened in regard to the disappearances (or murders) of those who died on the island. It’s a little creepy walking through the same highlands some 70 years after these events occurred.



After our stroll through the highlands to see the tortoise reserve and pirate caves we headed back to our respected boats for some snorkeling and sunbathing. When we did return to Santa Cruz, surprisingly earlier than expected, I had enough time to call mi familia for a skype session! I even got to see Joey, which made me want to go to NY after I get booted from the islands by immigration.




As I had plans to spend one more night on Santa Cruz before returning home, I had plenty of time to kill before mi amigo returned from leading a group on Isabela. Therefore I made a spa appointment. I know this has nothing to do with the ecological aspects of the Galápagos, but it was fun. I chose a three-hour package (so cheap here!), which included a sugar scrub, mud (or something) wrap, and an hour-long massage. I’ve never had a sugar scrub or mud wrap, so why not try it at a cheaper price? The sugar scrub most likely took off 1/4mm of tanned skin off my body, which seemed to make me look a tad more gringa, but I’ve got 3 weeks to change that so no worries. The mud wrap was very interesting. It wasn’t mud though; it was most women’s dream. I got covered in chocolate to the point it was massaged into my skin, and then wrapped in plastic and left to simmer for 20 minutes. Even after washing it off and the massage, I can still smell chocolate. I was so out of it for those three hours that when I finally came to I had no idea where I was until I walked out of the room and had to speak Spanish. It was then I was reassured that I wasn’t in NY. The day keeps getting better too, because I found a restaurant that has amazing cuts of steak so I had to treat myself to my first steak in over three months. Carne exists in Ecuador, although steak unfortunately does not.

Arriving back to San Cristobal yesterday was a wonderful feeling. Every time I return to my island I am filled with this joy and I truly do feel as I’ve returned home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment